Wednesday, April 3, 2013

From a Disgruntled Fat Lady

There comes a time in your life when stepping on the weighing scale takes guts :p This sort of thing is happening to me these days, as I'm drawing closer to my thirties and honestly I'm freaking out! I've always been the sort of person who lives to eat and somehow it never did matter what I ate. But lately the weighing scale seems to creak and groan ominously when I step on it, scaring me that it might burst open and spew out its springs and gears like in cartoons...So now I gotta be cautious about the calories, do some serious workouts and cut down on the carbs blah blah blah...That sort of takes out the fun from life-atleast my life!
I know that obesity is the start of many health issues but gaining a few extra kilos should not be such a problem..right? Wrong!! It has now become a taboo to sport an extra inch of belly fat or have love handles that need handling :p Staying rake-thin is now becoming a norm and most of the women I see around me are either on a strict diet or are burning yoga mats in some gym. Not that I'm against physical fitness but what bothers me is the obsession with wafer-like bodies. Exercising has never harmed anyone and it's good to be active but has anyone ever pondered over the fact that excessive dieting not only leads to dramatic deficiencies in the body but also leads to dark circles under the eyes, hair fall and gastro-intestinal malfunctions. Dieting can become nasty if basic requirements of the body are not kept in mind.
So why the obsession? The answer can be found when you look at the average model or actress draped in a clinging dress that shows off her perfect hour-glass figure. The charm words like sexy, beautiful and attractive are attached to these images and when you are fed these images at a frequency higher than that of sound...you can bet that your mind will pursue the wafer-thin body with an obsession. The trouble with these perfect bodies is that behind the camera so much effort has gone into them. We are not told about the surgeries and liposuctions that these women undergo; we do not know what is their exercise routine or diet plan and neither do we know the amount of photoshop and airbrushing effects that have gone into sculpting that killer physique! And don't forget the efforts of the makeup artists and personal stylists who make them look gorgeous because trust me you wouldn't recognise them without the makeup :p
So next time you look in the mirror, don't try to find a likeness to a celebrity but feel good about yourself. You don't have to be like an actress to be called beautiful, nor do you need to resemble a skinny model to be considered sexy. You are great just the way you are because you are special in your own way :)

3 comments:

  1. You are defiantly special in your own way. However there is a misconception about dieting. Dieting does not mean not eating... it means eating clean, it means eating slowly... it means eating enough that your body needs...

    And let me tell you, all good models/actors are on roids... 95% of them. Their problems are not because use of roids but because of abuse of roids.

    I agree with you that one should do things to satisfy own-self, one should look sexy in their own definition... however one should live a health life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, its great start and I always thought that you should be blogging as you always had an excellent communication skill.

    Now let me comment on your post, I believe it suits those who love to eat everything available to them. But one has to have his/her inner conscious calling him/her to control by taking necessary actions for instance exercise (tough call han!) OR a bit more control on eating habits (I am not saying dieting at all). And I agree with you that one needs not to look like not just a model or a celebrity but any other person because everyone is unique and beautiful in his/her own way.

    Life is very short and we should be living it happily be it with big bellies or skinny bodies. Great writing, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys :) Naveed you are absolutely right in saying that one should live a healthy life :) because "jaan hai to jahan hai". And dieting is a misused term for starvation these days :p I know it means taking a balanced nutritous diet that keeps your weight under control and makes you feel good too!
    @ Sajid Yup! Exerting control over eating habits and staying active is a requirement in today's age of junk food. And life is too short to be wasted on comparisons with others!

    ReplyDelete