Thursday, June 5, 2014

Mother...To you none can compare!

Mama, Ama, Mommy, Mummy, Ammi, Maa....

Some of the words we all use to refer to that beautiful woman in our lives, who bore us with pain, brought us up with care and saw us through life with the utmost affection. She is the reason why most of us stand where we are and she is the support without which none of us can go on. Her prayers, her advice, her sympathy, her patience and her unconditional love make this world a bearable place. She is a mother.

When I think about my childhood, my mother was my champion and my solution to every problem. Her words held so much comfort and her hugs and kisses had magical healing powers. She could tend to all the requirements of the family, look after the entire house and find time to socialize with relatives and friends. Now that I have grown up and become a mother myself, I just can't fathom how she used to do so much and still smile at the end of the day! I feel like a rotten tomato by the end of the day and expecting me to smile is like asking for a miracle! But seriously when you are so tired that you don't want to move a muscle and your child suddenly decides that is the best time to start pestering you to play with her.....you somehow find the energy and get up to fulfill her wish. That is the moment you realize that you really have become a mother. Giving up your portion of ice cream just so that your child can have some more...not buying anything for yourself just so that your kids can have some new toys...adding all your kids favorite treats in the grocery list and cutting down your own requirements....these are some of the things only a mother has the ability to do.

The day my little girl was born and handed over to me, something I never knew, awakened inside me. When I held that tiny hand in mine, when I touched that shrivelled little face and when those scrunched up eyes peered at me...I knew I would rather die than let anything bad ever happen to her. My baby made me feel like some kind of Amazon Warrior, who would stand through thick and thin just to see her child happy and safe. I understood why my mother made all those sacrifices and why she went through all those ordeals because the love that coursed through her veins made her strong enough to bear everything for her children. Her heart seems to grow bigger to accommodate all her children and she does so without a complaint.

When you become a parent, you learn to cherish your own parents because every time you do something for your children, you come closer to understanding why your parents did all those things when you were young. They did what they could, using whatever limited resources they had - just to make your tomorrow better, without any regard for their own desires. It is indeed one of the greatest blessings of this life to have your parents see you through your childhood into adulthood. We can never give them back all that love but we can at least try. Especially now when I am faced with a problem, I hear my mother's voice imparting some words of wisdom, which seemed meaningless at that time but now made perfect sense! She is my guiding light in so many instances that I am surprised how could she have known that someday I will have to go through such a situation...mother...to you none can compare!

No comments:

Post a Comment